Packing and Moving Tips | May. 09, 2017
- Determine your target move date as soon as possible.
- Decide whether you will pack your own items or if you would like your moving company to perform the task. (First Due Movers offers a complete and professional packing service).
- If you plan to pack your own items obtain packing supplies such as boxes, tape, packing paper and bubble wrap. First Due movers can supply these materials as well as Fireboxes- our eco-friendly plastic moving totes. (call or email to arrange a delivery).
- If moving into storage, reserve a unit at a nearby storage facility (A FDM representative may be able to recommend a facility as well as a storage unit size that will accommodate your belongings).
- Call your insurance company to find out whether they will cover your belongings or any items of high value during the moving process.
- Acquire a moving estimate and schedule with a company as soon as possible to ensure you can lock in your ideal pack and move dates.
- Begin purging and separate items that either need to be donated or disposed of. First Due Movers offers donation drop offs as well as disposal services that can be done on the same day as your move!
- Consider planning a garage sale to clear out some of the unwanted items.
- Use up as much food as possible and refrain from grocery shopping a week prior to your move day.
- Ensure that all boxes are labeled and/or color coded according to the location and room.
- Begin packing items that are rarely used- closets, crawl space and attic space is a great place to start.
- Schedule any home repairs or yard services that need to be completed prior to your move.
- Arrange for your electronics and appliances to be disconnected and reconnected at your new home. Consider having a 3rd party service any appliances that will be moved.
- Call your postal service, utility providers, schools, banks, employers and any other services or government agencies to notify them of your address change.
- Gather any important documents, warranties, and manuals to leave for the new owners of your home.
- Dedicate a day to cleaning your house or schedule a cleaning service to arrive after your items have been moved.
- Confirm the details with your moving company a week before your scheduled move. FDM will provide a courtesy 2 days prior to your move.
- Finish packing and ensure everything is consolidated into boxes. Pack a separate box with all the items you will need immediately!